Typos in Numerical Computation Guide

Samuel A. Figueroa figueroaaslinky.cs.nyu.edu
Mon May 26 11:12:45 PDT 1997

I purchased a copy of the NCG part no. 802-3254-10, with a copyright date of
1995.  Near the bottom of page 59 (Exceptions and Signals - HP-UX), SiGFPE is
spelled with a lowercase i.  Also, on page 57, near the end of the note under
numeral 2 (Notes for Table 4-1), the word "that" appears instead of "than."

Anyway, I hope you will forgive me for embarrassing Sun in public.  The real
reason for this message is that the note mentioned above says that "on HP
PA-RISC systems, ... overflow on floating-point-to-integer conversion causes
an overflow exception rather that [sic] an invalid operation exception."
This seems to contradict what the second edition of PA-RISC 1.1 Architecture
and Instruction Set Reference Manual says near the end of page 6-32
(Unimplemented Exception): "Finally, the unimplemented exception is always
signaled when the operand of a conversion to an integer format is a NaN or an
infinity, or when the result overflows."  Which is right?

<PRE>