Java numerics issue

Fred J. Tydeman tydemanatybor.com
Fri Jan 31 00:52:05 PST 1997

>A related problem that was never resolved, is the standarization of the
>Math library which is part of the Java standard. I think we decided that
>Sun would eventually provide a reference implementation for these in Java.
>I don't think there is a satisfactory answer for that one.

FPCE (Floating-Point C Extensions) of C9X (the revision of C currently in
progress) has defined behaviour of the math library functions for IEEE-754
values and exception flags.

LIA-2 (Language Independent Arithmetic Part 2: Elementary numerical
functions) has accuracy requirements on the math library functions
as well as behaviour for exception cases.

---
Fred J. Tydeman    +49 (7031) 288-964  Tydeman Consulting
Meisenweg 20       tydemanatybor.com   Programming, testing, C/C++ training
D-71032 Boeblingen                     Voting member of X3J11 (ANSI "C")
Germany            Sample FPCE tests:  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ty/tydeman