Java Numerics

Keith Bierman QED Keith.BiermanaEng.Sun.COM
Thu Feb 13 15:10:39 PST 1997

I must confess that since I'm in the middle of an ANSI meeting, and am
behind in my email reading.

>It would help in framing the discussion tomorrow to keep the intended Java

Assuming the meeting hasn't happened yet

>if Java users are dominated by people using embedded systems or other
>low-level (from a numerical perspective) devices.  However, "sameness" is not
>as important as accuracy if (as appears to be happening) Java becomes adopted

While there seem to be a bunch of people interesting in other uses,
the core use of Java has been and should continue to be our focus,
client/server network computing. It's what made this take
off. Therefore sameness should be the requirement. Since clients may
be small personal devices (that is embedded level), I feel that the
core language should be essentially as it is now. IEEE and bit for bit
compliance as a requirement.

Other "java-like" languages may develop, and they may target other
markets. There should be efforts to allow for interoperability
perhaps.

But don't get into the PL/1, Fortran, Cobol, et al. trap of trying to
be all things to all people.

A closely related "numerical java" which takes intervals as it's basis
would, IMHO be a better thing to start with than tinkering with the
C/S aka network java that is where the big money/explosive growth is.

 Now back to trying to get intervals into F2K ....