Comments on Java Numerics

Guy Steele - Sun Microsystems Labs glsalivia.East.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 5 10:28:02 PST 1997

For the record, Sun Labs East (Ben Adida and Christine Flood,
working under my direction) has produced a reference implementation
of the elementary functions (sqrt, sin, exp, etc.) written entirely
in Java---a port of the C code from fdlibm---as well as extensive
conformance tests that compare the behavior of this Java code to
that of the C code as specified in the Java Language Specification.
This code has been handed off to JavaSoft; I am uncertain as to its
current status, but I hope that it can be published, perhaps in a future
edition of the JLS.

--Guy