No exception handling in NCEG ??

Fred J. Tydeman uunet!tybor.com!tydeman
Thu Mar 14 04:40:32 PST 1996

>    I recently had a discussion in the USENET group
>"comp.os.linux.development.system" about what passes for
>floating-point exception handling in the operating system LINUX
>(a Unix clone, mainly for 80x86-based systems.)  Someone told me
>that NCEG was discussing IEEE exceptional value handling, but
>that none of the proposals has anything to say about floating
>point exception traps or trap handling.
>
>    Is this true?

Yes.  NCEG had some discussions, lead by David Hough of Sun, about
trapping and about allowing the result of a non-trapped exception
be settable by the user.  But, nothing was proposed to be included
in the technical report that NCEG published that dealt with trap
handling per se.

---
Fred J. Tydeman       +49 (7031) 288-964  Tydeman Consulting
Meisenweg 20          tydemananetcom.com  Programming, testing, C/C++ training
71032 Boeblingen      /\old/\    \/new\/  Numerics editor Jrnl. C Lang. Tran.
Deutschland (Germany) tydemanatybor.com   Member of X3J11 (ANSI "C")