changes in numeric-interestavalidgh.com

David G. Hough at validgh dgh
Wed Oct 18 18:34:31 PDT 1995

I have installed majordomo software to handle mailing lists I administer.
I have converted numeric-interest to run under majordomo.   Please let me
know if you have any problems or have difficulty posting or unsubscribing.
I have consolidated several mailing lists and may have made some mistakes.

Posting, subscribe, and unsubscribe are now handled pretty much automatically.
Possible difficulties you may encounter are usually due to the difference
between uucp-style addressing which my mailer still uses and conventional
internet addressing.   For security, to protect us from the former women of
the Soviet Union, only members are allowed to post, and membership is
determined by comparing the From: address to the mailing list.

Aside:
 comp.arch.arithmetic is a low-volume USENET newsgroup with fairly high
 signal-to-noise ratio... for USENET.   Its content overlaps numeric-interest
 pretty well.   I could set up a script to copy comp.arch.arithmetic postings
 to numeric-interest.    Volume has been running around 5 postings (10KB)
 per day.   I would be willing to moderate that volume of postings to avoid
 spam.   Let me know if this would be useful or problematic for you.
 I could set up separate mailing lists with and without the newsgroup stuff.
 I don't have any interest in
 going the other way (numeric-interest->comp.arch.arithmetic automatically).

Here is the info file that majordomo sends to new subscribers:

Greetings!  Welcome to the validgh numeric-interest mailing list.
This list is for discussion of computer arithmetic, elementary transcendental
functions, interval methods, and scientific computation correctness and
performance.

Keep the following information handy for future reference:

TO POST TO THE LIST: 	numeric-interestavalidgh.com
TO GET ON  THE LIST:	numeric-interest-requestavalidgh.com "subscribe"
TO GET OFF THE LIST:	numeric-interest-requestavalidgh.com "unsubscribe"

"subscribe" or "unsubscribe" must be in the BODY of the message,
NOT in the Subject: or any other header line.
Do not specify your address explicitly in the "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" line;
just say "subscribe" or "unsubscribe".

This list is sporadically active but never high volume.   After subscribing,
you may not get any postings for a month or more.   You may also wish
to read the USENET newsgroup comp.arch.arithmetic.

Here are some recent Subject: headings: