bit-for-bit IEEE compliance vs performance - strict compliance bit

Tom Lynch uunet!amd.com!Tom.Lynch
Wed Oct 4 12:01:52 PDT 1995

> person). Where to stick this additional control bit? I would like to
> propose bit 13 in the FPU control word. It looks like right now the

Hmm, putting it in the fpu control word could have side effects with
old code that already mistakenly writes the bit.  I think that some
supervisor mode protected register would be better.  The bit would not
be toggled very often, so easy access is not necessary.

-tom