are algorithms patentable?

David G. Hough at validgh dgh
Thu Jan 12 17:20:58 PST 1995

My understanding is that GIF is a specification (interface) for representing
graphics that relies on a specific compression ALGORITHM published in CACM,
where many mathematical software algorithms are published.   My understanding
of the position of Unisys and Compuserve in this matter is that any
program that encodes or decodes graphics in GIF format is an infringement
of the Unisys patent on the compression algorithm,
without respect to whether any Unisys or Compuserve
CODE was ever seen or copied, and therefore requires a license.
Mathematical software people, who have
long relied on building upon each other's work placed in the public domain,
may well find this an alarming turn of events.    Nor should this be
considered a strictly American phenomenon; one of the arguments advanced
against ratifying GATT in the American technical community
is that it requires conforming
American intellectual property laws with those of the other treaty members,
which in many cases are said to be even worse-conceived.

numeric-interest is not the place for an extended discussion, but we all need
to be aware of this issue.   If you need more information, you might contact
deanahi.com.