NEC SX4 supports three hardware floating-point formats

David Hough sun!Eng!David.Hough
Fri Nov 11 15:39:20 PST 1994

The current Unigram states:

NEC Corp is claiming that its new SX-4 Series of scalable
parallel vector supercomputers are the most powerful in the world
- but don't all rush at once: deliveries don't start until
December next year. The new SX-4 Series is offered in compact,
single-node and multi-node models rated at up to 1 TFLOPS peak
performance. Entry-level Compact systems are offered in one-to-
four processor configurations and are rated at 8 GFLOPS peek with
64G-bytes per second bandwidth.
All models support IEEE,
Cray Research Inc and IBM Corp floating point data formats fully
implemented in the hardware, NEC says.

After all that effort, I would think adding VAX support as well would not
have been much more trouble!   I wonder if subnormal numbers are supported
in hardware, if division is correctly rounded, and if IBM extended and
VAX H format are in hardware?