application of INEXACT

David Keaton uunet!dmk.com!dmk
Tue Feb 1 19:16:30 PST 1994

>2)  How is the INEXACT flag used in an application?  I was asked recently
>    about how users might use the inexact flag in an application.  Are
>    there applications that use it?  If so, how is it used?

     The Multiflow compilers optimized division by a constant into a
multiplication by its reciprocal because that was faster.  However, to
do this, the compiler kept an eye on the INEXACT flag during its own
compile-time computation of the reciprocal.  If INEXACT was tripped,
the compiler would generate code for the slower divide sequence.

					David Keaton
					dmkadmk.com