Pentium bug effects already

David G. Hough at validgh dgh
Thu Dec 1 10:07:39 PST 1994

No sooner had I transmitted my previous comments, than I noticed the
cover of the November 28 issue of InfoWorld, "The Voice of Personal
Computing in the Enterprise."

Two headlines on the front page caught my attention:

* Pentium woes continue
	Faulty FPU flubs math in certain equations
	Multithreading gets lost of P100 systems

* PC vendors slow down product revs

Some interesting quotes from the latter:

"... Several PC manufacturers ... admitted rapid product introductions and the
implementation of new technologies introduced over the past couple of years
have jeopardized the quality of their products...

Users often found themselves discovering problems manufacturers should have
found - but didn't...

Quality is one reason minicomputer standbys, such as Digital Equipment
Corporation and Hewlett-Packard Co., have suddenly reappeared on the approval
list of corporate IS managers.   "They can supply some of those integration
skills that many other PC companies can't," said an IS manager who uses
Compaq systems...

Companies like Gateway 2000 Inc., which thrive on delivering new technology
quickly, are not expected to slow their product introductions... "