Debugger for Sun SPARCStation for C++ and Fortran

Dean Schulze uunet!asgard.lpl.Arizona.EDU!schulze
Wed Sep 8 15:19:10 PDT 1993

    I need a source code level debugger that can work with C++ and
Fortran (in the same program).  I'm using a Sun SPARCStation running
SunOS v4.1.1, Sun Fortran v1.0.1 or v2.0, and gcc v2.2.2.  Sun's dbx
that comes with SunOS v4.1.1 doesn't recognize C++ encoded function names.
(This isn't surprising since SunOS came with a K&R C compiler.)  We also
have Sun's SPARCWorks Tools which has a debugger, but it will not work with
SunOS v4.1.1 if you're running X Windows.  (There seems to be a confilct
between the OpenWindows libraries and the X libraries.)  GNU's gdb will
work with C, C++, and Modula2, but (according to the documentation) not
with Fortran (until GNU Fortran is available).

    Does anyone out there know of a source code level debugger that will
work with C++ and Fortran on a Sun SPARCStation?  I can't believe that I
have to debug my code on a SPARCStation 10 with printf and write statements.

Dean Schulze