No subject

uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg
Sat Nov 20 10:01:08 PST 1993

  to- Ronald F. Guilmette (uunet.UU.NET!uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg ncegacray.com)
  from- David M. Gay

  > Is it required that the
  > following code
  >
  >  double y=some_value;
  >  double x=y;
  >  if(x ==y)
  >    cout<<"TRUE";
  >
  > always prints TRUE?

  No, for at least two reasons.  First, some_value might be a NaN.

I was already aware of this issue (and I mentioned it myself in a follow-up
I had already posted to comp.std.c++)... but that's NOT relevant to the
question(s) I asked here.

Please remember that I was asking about normalizations; when they might
take place, and what effect (on low-order bits) they might have.

-- Ronald F. Guilmette, Sunnyvale, California -----------------------------
------ domain address: rfganetcom.com -------------------------------------
------ uucp address: ...!uunet!netcom.com!rfg -----------------------------