RE- X3J16

Bill Gibbons uunet!taligent.com!Bill_Gibbons
Wed Nov 3 16:05:12 PST 1993

  RE: X3J16
Ronald F. Guilmette writes:

> In his role as chair of the X3J16 "extensions" working group, I mentioned
> quite clearly to Stroustrup well over a year ago that the work of the
> NCEG should be considered by X3J16.  At that time, he said to me words
> to the effect of "Don't worry.  I won't forget about the work of the NCEG.
> They won't let me."
>
> So what happened?

Time ran out.  Resources are limited.  Sure, X3J16 could have discussed the
NCEG proposals.  But X3J11 hasn't even discussed them yet.  Rather than
spend time investigating what portions of the NCEG proposals X3J11 might
approve, so as to be prepared to add some of them to C++, X3J16 did
nothing.  Or you could say that X3J16 chose to wait for X3J11 to look at the
proposals first; I don't know if the decision was that explicit.

If X3J11 acts very quickly, and approves some "no-brainer" subset of the
NCEG proposals, it's still possible that X3J16 may pick up that subset.

That kind of change would probably be considered by the Core Language
working group, not the Extensions working group which Stroustrup chairs.
(Which do you want decided first: is (x-x)==0, or the lifetime of temps?)

But it seems rather silly for X3J16 to approve proposals made to X3J11
before X3J11 approves them.  Especially since ISO C is a base document
for C++.

Bill Gibbons
bgibbonsataligent.com