NCEG,X3J11,WG14 hotel directions.

Frank Farance uunet!farance.com!frank
Thu May 13 13:26:38 PDT 1993

Several people have asked for directions to the Garden City Hotel
(+1 516 747 3000).  You can get to the hotel via car, train, plane,
or combination (directions included for all).  If you need additional
help getting here, just call or send E-mail.

Diagrammatic Map of New York Area (not to scale!)

                               /         GWB=George Washington Bridge
                              /  I-95    CBX=Cross Bronx Expressway
                             /           TNB=Throgs Neck Bridge
               I-95         /            LGA=La Guardia Airport
	+-*===*--------\---+             GCP=Grand Central Parkway
I-80	|  GWB    CBX   \  |             CIP=Cross Island Parkway
--------+   .            \ |             N=Northern State Parkway
	| NJ.NYC           *             M=Meadowbrook Parkway
	|   .               === TNB      NYC=New York City
Exit 18W|   .                  *         LI=Long Island (Nassau)
	|   .                  |         .
	| NJ.NYC     LGA       |     GCP .   N    N    N  Exit 31A
   I-95 |   .         ^--------+------------------------------+---
   NJTP |   .                  |         .                    |
	|   .                  |         .                    | M
	| NJ.NYC               | CIP     .                    |
	|   .                  |         .                    |
	|   .                  |     NYC . LI    Stewart Ave  | Exit
	|   .                  |         .     H--------------+ M3W
Exit 14 + NJ.NYC               |     NYC . LI                 |
  EWR ^ |   .                  |         .                    | M
Exit 13A+   .                  |     NYC . LI                 |
	|   .                  |         .                    | M
	|   . SIP       BELT   |         .  SO   SO   SO      |
Exit 13 +-*==*--*==*-----------+------------------------------+---
	| GB.   VZB      ^                                Exit 22
	|   .            JFK
   I-95 |   .
	|   .                NJ=New Jersey
	|   .                NYC=New York City
	|   .                NJTP=New Jersey Turnpike
                             EWR=Newark Airport
 GB=Goethals Bridge          JFK=Kennedy Airport
 SIP=Staten Island Parkway   SO=Southern State Parkway
 VZB=Verrazano Bridge        M=Meadowbrook Parkway
 BELT=Belt Parkway           H=Garden City Hotel
 .......=Border              ^=Airport

Via Plane:

	The Garden City Hotel will pick you up from La Guardia (LGA)
	and Kennedy (JFK) airports.  Just call them at +1 516 747 3000
	when you arrive.  If you are renting a car:

	From La Guardia (LGA):
	Take Grand Central Parkway (GCP) EAST.  If you see signs for
	the Triboro Bridge, *immediately* turn around (you are going
	west).  You should follow the signs on GCP EAST that are
	marked "Long Island", "Eastern Long Island".  About 2 miles
	after you've left LGA, you'll pass Shea Stadium (Mets - 1986
	World Champions) on your LEFT.  If you pass it on your RIGHT,
	you've strayed from GCP - turn around and take GCP EAST
	(Long Island, Eastern Long Island).  Continue on GCP EAST
	(it turns into Northern State Parkway).  Continue on the
	"NORTHERN CITY 3 APPROACH" below for directions to Meadowbrook
	Parkway SOUTH.

	From Kennedy (JFK):
	Use the 150th Street exit of JFK to take the Belt Parkway (BELT)
	EAST.  DO NOT TAKE VAN WYCK EXPRESSWAY.  Follow the BELT about
	5 miles to Southern State Parkway (signs are marked "SO") EAST.
	Continue on SO EAST to exit 22 NORTH.  Continue on the
	"SOUTHERN CITY 2 APPROACH" below for directions to Meadowbrook
	Parkway NORTH.

	From Newark (EWR):
	Take New Jersey Turnpike (NJTP, a.k.a., I-95) NORTH to
	the George Washington Bridge, exit 18E or 18W.  DO NOT
	TAKE THE HOLLAND TUNNEL (I-78).  Continue on the "FORT LEE
	LEE ARRIVAL" below for directions past the George Washington
	Bridge.

GOETHALS ARRIVAL: Via car from Washington, Philadelphia, Southern and
Central New Jersey

	(Enroute Phase)
	Take I-95 NORTH to exit 13, Goethals Bridge.  Take I-278
	EAST (Staten Island Expressway) to Verrazano Narrows Bridge
	(my favorite bridge).  Take the Verrazano to the Belt Parkway
	EAST (Long Island).  IMPORTANT: The Belt Parkway is a LEFT
	exit IMMEDIATELY at the end of the bridge.  If you miss
	this exit, it won't be easy to get back to the Belt Parkway
	(there's no exit in the opposite direction if you turn
	around) - you have to turn around, go back over the Verrazano
	Bridge, pay the toll, cross the bridge one more time, and
	try again for the Belt Parkway.

SOUTHERN CITY 2 APPROACH:

	(In Range Phase)
	Take the Belt Parkway EAST about 20 miles.  After you pass
	Kennedy Airport (JFK), you'll see signs for Southern State
	Parkway (marked with an "SO" sign) EAST - Eastern Long Island.
	Take Southern State Parkway to Exit 22, Meadowbrook Parkway
	NORTH.  Then go about 5 miles NORTH on Meadowbrook Parkway
	to Stewart Avenue, Exit M3W, WEST.

	(Final Approach Phase)
	At the traffic light off the exit, make a right.  Take
	Stewart Avenue WEST about 2.5 miles until the END.  At that
	traffic light, you are facing the hotel complex.  Turn left,
	make a quick right, and you are at the driveway of the hotel.

FORT LEE ARRIVAL: Via car from Northern and Western New Jersey

	(Enroute Phase)
	Take I-80 EAST to I-95 NORTH over the George Washington Bridge.
	Use the LOCAL lanes - they're faster (the EXPRESS lanes are
	labeled such to distinquish tourists from locals - the EXPRESS
	lanes are *always* slower).  Continue on I-95 NORTH (you're on
	the Cross Bronx Expressway now) to the Throgs Neck Bridge
	(Long Island, Eastern Long Island).  Follow the "NORTHERN CITY
	3 APPROACH" below.

MAMARONECK ARRIVAL: Via car from Connecticut and New England

	(Enroute Phase)
	Take I-95 SOUTH to New York City.  Follow the signs
	to the Throgs Neck Bridge (Long Island, or Eastern
	Long Island).  If you see signs that you're about to
	enter the George Washington Bridge, you've gone too far -
	don't turn around in the South Bronx at this point when
	you can go a mile or two further, pay the $4.00 toll
	for the bridge, see some nice sights.  Basically, in comparing
	the bridge and the toll attendant to the local South Bronx
	resident (say you mistakenly took the Jerome Avenue exit), the
	former has the advantage of a fixed amount of money ($4.00),
	a fixed amount of time (10 minutes), better directions, and
	continued use of your vehicle.  If you do visit the George
	Washington Bridge, go back on I-95 until you see the sign
	for the Throgs Neck Bridge (Long Island, or Eastern Long
	Island).

NORTHERN CITY 3 APPROACH:

	(In Range Phase)
	Take the Throgs Neck Bridge to Long Island (toll $3.00).
	Over the bridge, take the Cross Island Parkway SOUTH.  After
	about 5-8 miles, take the Grand Central Parkway (GCP) EAST.
	The GCP turns into Northern State Parkway as you leave
	New York City and enter Nassau County.  Follow Northern State
	Parkway (the roads are marked with an "N") about 10 miles.
	Take exit 31A SOUTH, Meadowbrook Parkway.  Go SOUTH about
	2 miles to exit M3W, Stewart Avenue, West.

	(Final Approach Phase)
	At the traffic light off the exit, make a right.  Take
	Stewart Avenue WEST about 2.5 miles until the END.  At that
	traffic light, you are facing the hotel complex.  Turn left,
	make a quick right, and you are at the driveway of the hotel.

Via train:

	Take the AMTRAK, NJ Transit, or airport limo service to
	"New York Penn. Station".  If you are riding Metro North,
	or arriving via airport limo to "Grand Central Station",
	take a taxi to "Penn. Staion, 7 AV & 32 ST".  NOTE: If
	you are arriving at Kennedy (JFK) or La Guardia (LGA), the
	hotel has pickup service (you should call as soon as you
	arrive), i.e., airport limo service *only* makes sense
	from Newark (EWR) airport.

	Take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to the Garden City
	station.  You are traveling east, the hotel is across the
	street on the north side of the tracks.  The phone number
	of fare and schedule information is +1 718 217 LIRR
	(+1 718 217 5477).  On weekends, trains run hourly on
	the half hour (approximately).  The train takes 40 minutes.

Via Transporter Beam:

	Approximate coordinates are 73 43' West, 40 44' North,
	elevation 70'.  Contact the hotel for the precise coordinates
	of your room.

Other:  Give me a call if you need further assistance.

-FF