Floating-point to integer conversion

uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg
Thu Jun 10 14:42:00 PDT 1993

  > Such conversions are machine
     dependent; for example, the direction of truncation of negative
     numbers varies from machine to machine."

  This sounds like
  a serious mistake in C++ - adding an implementation freedom to C++
  that never existed in C, confers no implementation benefit on any system
  I've ever used, and degrades portability of programs.

In the category of "confers no benefit"...

In C++ (unlike ANSI C) it is permitted to apply unary `+' to pointers.

In C++ (unlike ANSI C) it is permitted to do relational comparisons
between two compatible pointers to functions.

In C++ (unlike ANSI C) the scope of an enumerator name starts *before*
the integer constant expression it is equated to.  Thus, in C++, you may
have:

	enum { X = X };

The exact semantics of such a declaration have not yet been precisely
defined.  (As Dave Barry always says "I'm not making this up!")

(Isn't it great to get a new language with all these new, advanced, and
powerful features. :-)

------ domain address: rfgasegfault.uucp ------------------------------------
------ uucp address: ...!uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg ----------------------