Fortran and IEEE Infinities

Tom MacDonald uunet!tamarack.cray.com!tam
Thu Jul 8 14:25:15 PDT 1993

I've been looking at the best way to support Infinites and NaNs in Fortran
lately.  Supporting these creatures in C is greatly facilitated by the
work Jim Thomas has done in his Floating-Point C Extensions document.
However, I'm not aware of any similar activity for Fortran.  Is there an
accepted practice in this area?  This includes things like:

	initialization through DATA statements

	WRITE and READ statements.

	PARAMETER constants

	X = INFINITY  !  how does everyone else do this?

If anyone knows of a set of common extensions in this area I'd appreciate
knowing about it.

Thanks in advance,

Tom MacDonald
tamacray.com