VLA: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Michael Meissner uunet!osf.org!meissner
Mon Feb 22 04:12:45 PST 1993

| At the risk of fanning the flames one more time, let me try a slightly
| different angle on VLA's in C.
|
| There are to be two parts to any VLA proposal: VLA's as automatic variables
| and VLA's as procedure arguments.
|
| I haven't heard a whole lot of argument about auto VLA's.  The syntax is
| pretty obvious, the semantics straightforward, and the utility
| considerable.

All proposals agree on auto VLA's with exactly the same semantics (the
USL proposal originally didn't have auto VLA's, but it does now, at
least according to Dave at the meetings).

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissneraosf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.