variable length arrays ... please do the right thing <9302091721.AA05577agumworks>

uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg
Tue Feb 9 12:25:00 PST 1993

  To: C++ committee
  Message c++std-all-323

  Gentlemen,
  Please do the right thing and ...

  Please do not require C compiler writers to satisfy use before def.

  Please preserve the general rule of C:
  	 "uses of variables must follow their declarations"

  Thank you.
  A point of compiler writer light,
  John

A few points:

First, this posting is inappropriate for the c++std-all reflector.  You
may be raising an important "core language" issue, but if you are, you
should address an issue statement to the c++std-core mail reflector.

Second, it was not at all clear to me (and I doubt that it was at all
clear to any other x3j16 members) what you are concerned about.  In
general, C++ requires declarations to preceed references.  In fact it
does so to a greater extent than ANSI C does!

If you know of instances where this is not the case, you should write
a small piece of example code which illustrates such an instance, and
then post that (perhaps) to the c++std-core reflector.  Otherwise, your
concern (which may be legitimate) may not be fully understood by the
membership of x3j16.

// Ronald F. Guilmette
//    domain address:	rfgasegfault.uucp
//    uucp address:	...!uunet!netcom.com!segfault!rfg