LIA-1 and the marketplace

Stu Anderson 5-3595 uunet!espresso.boeing.com!sla
Mon Sep 28 13:46:44 PDT 1992

> >> Note, however, that I do not object to LIA-1 permitting VAXen and
> >> rejecting Crays.  The marketplace will decide those issues.

> I don't understand this statement.  Actions by standards committees
> which arbitrarily decide certain products acceptable are directly
> contrary to letting the marketplace decide.

Sorry, I should have been more careful with my wording--I do object.  I should
have said I was not "objecting" to that issue, but rather the other issues
that I did discuss.  I wanted to cover issues that had not been repeatedly
discussed already.

My comment on the marketplace should have been expanded to state that the
marketplace will decide before LIA-1 is formally accepted as an international
standard.  Thus:

   LIA-1 permits VAXen.  The marketplace will decide, independent of LIA-1,
   whether or not VAXen are purchased.

   LIA-1 rejects Crays.  According to the rumors I have heard, the marketplace
   may have already had an effect--Cray is looking seriously at "sort-of-IEEE"
   architectures for future machines.  If these rumors are false, I would
   appreciate more information.

--Stu Anderson (Boeing Computer Services, slaaespresso.boeing.com)