5th IEEE op

Stu Anderson 5-3595 uunet!espresso.boeing.com!sla
Fri Oct 2 15:36:58 PDT 1992

> If the accumulation of floating-point numbers and of products of
> such numbers into a fixed-point register is introduced
> as a fifth floating-point operation, many unnecessary
> errors that appear in floating-point computations can be avoided.

There is a book based on extensions of the above idea.  The first article is
of interest.

    G. Bohlender [1990].  What Do We Need Beyond IEEE Arithmetic?  in Computer
    Arithmetic and Self-Validating Numerical Methods (edited by Christian
    Ullrich), Academic Press.

I personally have little need for such accumulation since I am more concerned
about error in the terms than I am about their sum.  In addition, I am more
concerned about poor implementation of the IEEE standard than I am about its
extension.  <Pun accidental, but kept deliberately.>

--Stu Anderson (Boeing Computer Services, slaaespresso.boeing.com)