Digraph proposal from Denmark

Bruce Blodgett uunet!apollo.hp.com!blodgett
Fri Mar 27 12:45:00 PST 1992

Does anyone else's mailer have difficulty with ncegatimbuk (as opposed
to ncegatimbuk.cray.com)?

To: gwynaBRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
Cc: redvax!hughanisc.sri.com, X3J11anisc.sri.com, ncegatimbuk

Doug Gwyn writes:
    > A possibility for an = replacement (do we REALLY need one?  seems the
    > only problems are with <, >, and perhaps !, not =) would be the _
    > character.  The S system allows _ in place of its assignment operator
    > <- and I find it much more convenient.  The nice thing about _ is that
    > it is a valid C identifier, and furthermore, one reserved for the
    > implementation, which means that an add-on standard could choose to
    > give it a standard meaning without affecting existing strictly-
    > conforming code.
Doug,

My first reaction to _ as a macro name was, "isn't that clever!", but
then I realized that _ must be separated from adjacent identifier
tokens.  For example, a_b clearly should not mean the same as a=b.

Bruce Blodgett
blodgettaapollo.hp.com
(508) 436-4037