SPARC manual published finally

David G. Hough on validgh dgh
Tue Sep 24 22:17:56 PDT 1991

It's been three years since I had to bootleg extracts of SPARC V8 to the
floating-point indoctrination lectures at Sun.  Finally the manual has
been published, just as SPARC International is attempting to define
SPARC V9.  I just received:

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 91 16:29:42 PDT
Subject: SPARC V8 *book* available

The SPARC Architecture, Version 8, is now available in its
long-awaited *book* form, from Prentice Hall.  See end of
mail for purchasing information.

Regarding the question: "if I already have a copy of a previous
SPARC specification, should I get the book?" -- here is how the
the book's contents compare with related documents:
	SPARC "V7":
		Very out of date; *no one* should be working from V7.
		Burn it and get the book!
	SPARC V8, 30 January 1991 (and editions dated earlier):
		Out of date; doesn't contain all the updates and
		corrections of the book.  You should probably get
		the book and throw out the document.
	SPARC International's SPARC Architecture Manual, Version 8,
	part number SAV080SI9104 (does not say "Sun" on the doc't):
		Essentially identical with the PH book.  Buy the
		book if you want a prettier cover and a more
		convenient size to work with.
	IEEE P1754:
		P1754 is a draft standard, not a final IEEE standard,
		and not yet widely available.  Although closely
		related to SPARC V8, the two should not be confused.
		If you want a "SPARC" specification, get the book.

Ordering information:
	Publisher:  Prentice Hall
	Title:	    The SPARC Architecture Manual, Version 8
	Title Code: 825000
	ISBN #:     0-13-825001-4
	List price: $37.00

	For single copies:
		1) Go to your local computer bookstore (e.g. Computer
		   Literacy) [note: they may not be in stock at the
		   bookstores, but should be within a week or two]
		2) or call: 1-201-767-5937 (Prentice Hall direct) and
		   order with a credit card.  Now in stock at P.H.

	For quantity orders:
		5+  copies: 10% discount
		25+ copies: 15% discount
		50+ copies: (call number below and negotiate)
		Call Lorraine Longo at PH, 1-201-785-4766, to order.
		[Plus, if you want to bundle this (or other PH) books
		 with a product, she says that she can arrange
		 especially favorable terms.]