New digraph

Keld J|rn Simonsen uunet!dkuug.dk!keld
Wed Nov 27 13:50:43 PST 1991

> To: X3J16 committee
> Message x3j16-all-148
>
> A posting I saw today from Keld Simonsen indicated that X3J16/WG21 added,
> or are considering adding, a token spelled <>. If this is the case I want
> to point out that X3J11.1 (NCEG) already has such a token; it means less
> than or greater than and is part of a set of operators that handle NaNs.
> For the record, the complete set of operators we have here is:
>
> <>	less or greater
> !<>=	unordered
> <>=	less, greater, or equal
> !<=	unordered or greater
> !<	unordered, greater, or equal
> !>=	unordered or less
> !>	unordered, less, or equal
> !<>	unordered or equal
>
> These will be part of a packet that will eventually forwarded to X3J11 for
> consideration in future C standard releases.
>
> Rex

Oh, well. Then it is the question who came first....
I had not seen the NCEG proposal before, nor had WG21/X3J16.

And then there is the problem with consistency with other
programming languages, such as Pascal, which also uses
<> for unequal.

And lastly, is there a difference between "unequal" and
"less-or-greater" ? There might be a subtle difference but
how big is that difference?

Keld