Trigonometric Functions of Real Radian Angles

David Hough sun!Eng!dgh
Tue Feb 26 15:19:10 PST 1991

Trigonometric Functions of Real Radian Angles is the name of a section
in the HP-15C Advanced Functions Handbook, page 184, August 1982,
part number 00015-90011.
This booklet is really an outstandingly readable graduate
course in practical error analysis.
Some will recognize the style as that of W. Kahan.

The HP-15C uses an internal
value p.13 consisting of a 13-digit approximation to pi that can't
be entered on the calculator, which is limited to 10 significant digits
of input.   Two excerpts from page 186:

In this calculation the phase shift introduced by p.13 != pi has less
effect than changing the distance between Earth and moon by as little
as the thickness of this page.
It all seems like much ado about very little.  After a blizzard of
formulas and examples, we conclude that the error caused by p.13 != pi
is negligible for engineering purposes, so we need not have bothered
to know about it.  That is the burden that conscientious error analysts
must bear; if they merely took for granted that small errors are
negligible, they might be wrong.