New digraph

Keld J|rn Simonsen uunet!dkuug.dk!keld
Sun Dec 15 02:31:10 PST 1991

>    I thought the C++/C consistency constraint was supposed to work in the
>    other direction -- after all, the C standard predates the C++ one.
>
> The designers of C++ do not seem to have regarded consistency with C
> as worth even a small effort.

Well, I think that is not giving the C++ people due credit
in this case. the C++ commitee first adopted a proposal that has been
on the table of WG14 for a long time, and WG14 had given its
principal acceptance of the proposal (the Danish one...)
Then WG14 set up some additional conditions, which were
also in line with conditions set up by X3J11 for acceptance.
Then there was a new proposal me which adressed those concerns,
and this wes dealt with by WG14 at the Tokyo meeting, and a resolution
was passed on adopting this proposal. Then the C++ people
changed their proposal to adopt the newly adopted WG14 proposal.
And they made a suggestion to WG14 about the <> operator.

I conclude from this that the C++ people had gone a long
way to achieve conistency with C on this.

Keld