epsilon

David Hough sun!Eng!David.Hough
Mon Apr 22 08:56:24 PDT 1991

A posting about machine epsilon from Nick Higham was part of the latest
na-net digest, followed by comments by Cleve Moler.  Both are reproduced
below.  There's one point that needs further correction:

>MATLAB on a PC has IEEE floating point with extended precision implemented
>in an Intel chip.  The C compiler generates code with double rounding.
>MATLAB on a Sun Sparc also has IEEE floating point with extended precision,
>but it is implemented in a Sparc chip.  The C compiler generates code
>which avoids double rounding.

The last Sun compilers for the Sun-386i (C 1.0 and Fortran 1.3.1) also generate
code with double rounding when -f80387 is specified, as do the last Sun
compilers for the Sun-3 (C 1.1 and Fortran 1.4) with -f68881.

However although there
was a 64-significant-bit extended precision format specified in SPARC V7
and there is a 113-significant bit (quadruple) extended precision format
specified in SPARC V8, neither have been implemented in hardware, and no
SPARC compilers generate those instructions.  Implemented SPARC opcodes
are single or double precision and thus cause no double roundings, except
when traditional C uses double-precision expression evaluation for single-
precision variables, which may be defeated on Suns with -fsingle.

The main point to be drawn from the na-net discussion, which is also one
I tried unsuccessfully to convey to X3J11 and X3J3, is that the common
environmental inquiries are rather less precisely defined than one would like,
which is however offset by the fact that they are much less general than
one would like.

IEEE 754 recommends provision of a nextafter(x,y) function which tells
you what you really want to know about the set of representable numbers.
After several years of experience implementing that in software I'm convinced
it's not worth the trouble and prefer instead next(x) or nextpositive(x)
which is equivalent to nextafter(x,+infinity), is more often what I want
anyway, and is probably much easier to implement in hardware.  For another
point of view, ask Kahan about solving a nonlinear equation; he likes
nextafter(x,y) for that purpose but I think a software implementation of
nextafter based on hardware nextpositive would be just as efficient for his
purposes and more efficient for most, especially since it's more implementable
in a RISC environment.