NCEG restrictions per Rex Jaeschke

David G. Hough on validgh dgh
Fri Nov 30 06:37:22 PST 1990

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 22:20:26 EST
From: uunet!aussie.COM!rex (Rex Jaeschke)
Subject: Proposed IEEE operators etc.

I've just returned from an ISO C meeting in Copenhagen. For several
years now Denmark has been proposing alternate (more readable) versions
for some trigraphs. For example, digraphs such as (: and :) for { and
}. They have also been proposing new keywords. Clearly, this stuff is
very special purpose and is very hard to sell to those (most everyone
else in the C world) not affected by these defficiencies/extensions.
X3J11 has soundly voted against ALL such proposals and to force the
issue (I'm the US rep to ISO C) I stated at the ISO C meeting that I
could see no way that further proposals along this vein would be
acceptable to X3J11.  (In separate communications I find the Japanese
expressing similar opposition.)

The upshot is that once I brought this to a head we then identified
just what additions to C would likely be universally acceptable to
various national bodies. It pretty much came down to:

	Preferably NO new keywords or other tokens although
	alternate spellings for existing tokens would be OK.

Of course, macros that hide functions or hidden keywords would be OK.

Also, polluting the existing headers is bad news. Specifically, the
Japanese were informed that their proposed multi-byte extensions would
have a MUCH better chance if they were all confined to a NEW header.
(previously they proposed adding to string.h, stdio.h, and others.)

These issues have been bothering me for some time now and since I have
been one of those pushing to have the ground rules established AND I'm
the NCEG convenor, it's appropriate that I voice my concerns before we
(NCEG) get too far down a one-way path.  The impact this all has on
NCEG then is, at the very least, that introducing the 8-9 new
operators for ordered/unordered comparisons, etc., will very likely
be a very hard sell to X3J11 as well as the rest of the world.  There
is little point in us defining a strategy that while it makes sense
within itself, no one else will adopt it.

My strong suggestion therefore is to absolutely avoid new tokens if
possible and to not pollute existing headers. Except in extreme
circumstances I don't see that I can support proposals that violate
these restrictions. Certainly, my X3J11/ISO C role will require me to
consistanently support the trail I've started to blaze there.

Rex

Rex Jaeschke     |  Journal of C Language Translation  | C Users Journal
(703) 860-0091   |        2051 Swans Neck Way          | DEC PROFESSIONAL
rexaaussie.COM   |     Reston, Virginia 22091, USA     | Programmers Journal