<nmath.h> ?

David Hough dgh
Fri Feb 2 07:50:43 PST 1990

In a mostly unrelated usenet posting, Doug Gwyn remarks in passing...

> Some
> X3J11 members are working toward a set of extensions targeted at
> numerical programming applications.  My feeling is that the only
> proper way to do that is through extensions of, not conflicts with,
> the ANSI C standard.  (For example, #include <nmath.h> could make
> errno-free replacement math functions available for those who think
> they prefer them.)

It's clear to me at least that this particular solution is absolutely
not what customers want.  The last thing numerically-oriented customers
want to do, in general, is rewrite their source code.  They just want
to recompile and run faster.  That argues for other solutions,
such as compiler options that cause linking with alternate libraries.
Changing Makefiles is odious to many people but less so than
changing the source.