Defining IEEE NaN and Inf at compile time

Jon L White validgh!uunet!lucid.com!jonlaSun.COM
Tue Dec 18 21:45:50 PST 1990

re: I would like to invite comment on this: should compile-time
    evaluation of Infinity and Not-a-Number terminate compilation,
    or not?

I think it should not.  In 1987 I added IEEE 754 arithmetic capabilities
to Lucid Common Lisp, as an extension to Common Lisp, and forgot about
special treatment for compile-time extremals (infinities, NaN's, and even
denormalized numbers).  Fairly shortly after introduction of the 3.0 product,
we received at least one complaint about that lacuna, and we subsequently
patched the compiler/loader accordingly.

-- JonL --