[Granville-Hough] 18 Jan 2010 - So-So and the pre-1830 trail across Mississippi

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Jan 18 05:30:40 PST 2018

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:07:35 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Re: So-So and the pre-1830 trail across Mississippi - 18 Jan 2010

    *From:* Granville W Hough <mailto:gwhough at oakapple.net>
    *To:* lloyd hough
    *Sent:* Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:34 PM
    *Subject:* So-So

        So-So was on Mcleary's Path on the other side of Leaf River from
    Hot
    Coffee.  It is just inside of Jones County a few miles south of the
    Jasper County line, which was then the Choctaw line.  It was
    probably the second day camping site from
    the Choctaw Hiwanee towns in Eastern Jones County.  If you were going
    west by wagon or ox-cart, you left So-So, crossed Leaf River at
    Reddock's Ferry, then made your way to a campsite in the hilly ridge at
    Hot Coffee.  Then, in a day or two you could turn north to old
    Westville, county seat in the new county of Simpson, or go on and cross
    Pearl River into Copiah and on the Natchez.
        The whole path was within the piney woods country which was
    sometimes called the Pine Barrens.  It passed about 10 miles south
    of where I was born a hundred years later.  With my regards, Granville.