[Granville-Hough] 6 Jan 2010 - Huff Neighbors

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jan 6 05:17:40 PST 2018

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 08:09:51 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: HuffNeighbors - 6 Jan 2010

    In Smith County, we did have an extended Huff family who lived
mostly in the Sylvarena area and in Jasper County.  One even lived for
some time in Sullivan's Hollow and was Mayor of Mize. It may have been
that Taylor Sullivan met and married Emma Huff as a relative of that
family who lived in Mize. We never established any relationship but YDNA
testing may show we were related.  They definitely showed up in
Brunswick County, VA about 1725 under the name Hoof, which in the South
is pronounced as "huff."  In Smith County, they were teachers, community
leaders, and progressive farmers.
(My Richardson grandfather called a mule's hooves its "huffs.")

Ganville:
I have the following books:
1. MS Census Data, Hough, Huff, and Hoff families.
2. MS Huff, Hough, and Hoff families, by County
3. MS Huff families (Joseph W. Huff is not mentioned in this book)
(There is no file for Joseph W. in your database)

I do see him in the 1920 Census in Smith Co.
J.W. Huff, 72; wife Betty 70, and dau Vida 28 (school teacher).

In that same census, there is a Grace C. Huff, 20, (dau of Janice O.
Sullivan 40, with her father "Harrellson"; also Walter L. Huff, 14, son
of Janice.

I didn't see an email address for Judy or I would have written her directly.

Best Regards,

Max

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net