[Granville-Hough] 13 Feb 2010 - Fat and Blubber

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Feb 13 05:36:46 PST 2018

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:19:40 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Fat and blubber 13 Feb 2010

    When I was in Thule, Greenland, I learned about some of the
adaptations of the human body to cold.  The Eskimos had survived there
for about 1000 years by living with the climate, and not fighting it.
Their diet was heavy on seal fat or blubber,  and they ate it raw as
well as cooked.  Fish was food for the sled dogs, as its fat content was
low.  They would kill and eat polar bears, but the skins were what they
wanted for making garments, bedding, etc.  As they had no other way to
cure skins, they used human urine.  That gave the Eskimos a distinctive
smell.
    When the American began resupply operations for the Engineering
station out under the glacier.  they went in a snow train that took
several days.  Vehicles of the snow train had very wide treads and
followed the leader very closely.  They slept in their vehicles, but the
cold got through everything.  They told me that the second day out, they
just wanted to eat fat, or butter.  Bacon was a favorite, cooked or
raw.  They would get back and spend two or three days getting back to a
normal diet.
    Some arctic creatures had unusual characteristics the Eskimos had
learned about.  The layer of fat under the narwhal's skin, for example,
was the highest concentration of Vitamin C which could be found.  When
one was harpooned, it was pulled to a solid surface of ice or land and
skinned.  The Eskimos clamored for the fat under the skin, as they knew
it made you feel better.
    The Eskimos had to sleep on solid ice or land, so the polar bear
skin was placed on the solid surface, skin down, so the fur was up.
Then the covering skin was placed on the top with the fur down.  So you
slept in the polar bear fur, with no clothes on.  You hung your work
clothes up and they froze dry, so you could shake or beat out the ice
the next morning.  If you slept in your work clothes, you perspired  and
had trouble the next day with frozen skin surfaces.
    When the first European explorers learned about Eskimo customs.
they failed to appreciate their value and the Europeans had heavy
casualties.  At one time the Eskimo was considered a different species
because the women only gave birth about every four years.  The truth was
that the child had to be breast fed until about four or five years old,
and any woman, of whatever race, does not easily get pregnant while
breast feeding.  To supplement the breast feeding, the mother chewed up
fat and blubber and then fed it to the child, just like birds feed their
young.
    God gave the Eskimos enough sense to survive in a frozen land.  A
few of the Vikings from the Greenland settlements of Lief Ericson joined
them in the search for food, and they have the same Viking YDNA as the
Hough families from Western England.  I'm glad our distant cousins are
part of the Greenlander population.  Grandpa Hough