[Granville-Hough] 5 Feb 2010 - O Lord, My God, How Long, How Long?

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Feb 5 05:36:47 PST 2018

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:12:20 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: O Lord, My God, How Long, How Long?  4 Feb 2010

    By 1845, John and Elizabeth McAlpin, had moved from Jasper county
and bought land near old Taylorsville in Smith Couny.  That year, Jasper
County papers reported (from a Smith County correspondent) that John had
been murdered at his home near old Taylorsville.  The murderer had left
the country for another part of the state.  Elizabeth McAlpin, as a
widow, then moved her family to a community north of Mize.  Her
descendants have traced the family record and believe the above is
correct.
    Now fast forward to 23 Dec 2009 for a look at Hattiesburg papers:
"After driving himself to Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, Lee
Tony Duckworth of Taylorsville, collapsed and died about half an hour
after entering the emergency room about 4:30 am Thursday, Dec 17.
Duckworth, 42, suffered several stab wounds to the front and back of his
torso.  A Hattiesburg man, Zachary Lee Doughtery, 20, has been charged
with murder in connection with Ducksworth's death..."
    Murders, 164 years apart, which characterize our Smith County.  I
know nothing of the particular Duckworth or Doughtery families.  The
Duckworths I did know were upright Christian folks, strong in the
Taylorsville area.
    So I raise a plaintive cry, "O Lord, My God, How Long, How Long?"