[Granville-Hough] 1 Feb 2010 - Marriages, Then and Now

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Feb 1 06:08:49 PST 2018

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 08:18:47 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Marriages, Then and Now - 1 Feb 2010

  I may be repeating myself, as I cannot always remember the 365 stories
of 2009; however, here is one recollection that I like.

Marriages (Then and Now):
I read that ôtraditionalö weddings, with all the trimmings, now cost on
the average across the U. S. $27,000, with the high in New York City of
$40,000, and averages going down to about $18,000 in a few states. And
yet we know that fifty percent of these great social events have to be
redone within a few years. It seems to me to be a great waste of human
resources.
Just think about all the marriages performed in SullivanÆs Hollow by
Justices of the Peace W. M. Howell and J. F. Harvey. Did any of those
marriages cost $100? Well, the license in Raleigh might be $5.00. What
did the JP charge, $1.00, $5.00? I can hardly imagine $10.00, as such a
price would have caused to couple to seek someone else to tie the knot.
A mayor, or Member of the Board of Supervisors, or even a hireling
minister, would probably have been happy with $5.00 in Depression days.
A few got the license, started a family, and never got around to filing
the return which stated who and when the license was carried out. Maybe
they did not have the $5.00, or whatever the JP wanted. Were these
marriages successful? There were of course marriages where the couple
slept together each night, quarreled each day, parented ten children,
continued quarreling through their fiftieth anniversary, were buried
next to each other, and probably quarrel today in Paradise. Divorce
happened, but it was not in style. Most couples just plainly and simply
loved each other, morning, noon, and night. The price of the wedding had
nothing to do with it. Grandpa Hough