[Granville-Hough] 26 Sep 2009 - Mill Pond Killing

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Sep 26 05:44:58 PDT 2017

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:56:54 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: MillPondKill 26 Sep 2009

  How to Kill, then Obfuscate

    The Mill Pond Killing.  Several Sullivan men did not like the owner
of the mill pond and its sawmill at Bunker Hill and decided to kill
him.  His name was Robert Dean.  They went looking for him in the summer
of 1899 and saw a man fishing from a boat out in the pond.  It was murky
and dark, but it looked like the man they were looking for.  One or
several took a shot at him; and one, said to be Chester Sullivan, hit
him.  To their great consternation, when they recovered the body they
found they had killed their cousin, George Sullivan.
    The group had started out with premeditated murder planned, but
wound up with unintended homicide, a bereaved widow, and five fatherless
children.  It was then a matter of self-preservation for all members of
the group, and at one time or another several different Sullivans were
said to have done the deed.  Members of the group actually present were
quite ready to pass on any rumors or gossip that it was some other
person.  So far as I know, the evidence was so obfuscated that no one
was ever convicted.  Mrs. Hammonds stated that Samuel Sullivan, son of
Pappy Tom, but Mack Howell and Vernon Howell (sons of F. M. Howell) were
indicted.  It seems that there is a mistake on Samuel Sullivan.  He was
quite elderly at the time, having been born in 1838.  (However, I could
not locate Samuel Sullivan in the 1900 census.  The entry is either
unreadable, or he had left the area at the time.)  Two witnesses for the
prosecution were said to be Bee Sullivan and Victor Sullivan.  Victor
was himself murdered about three months later, with assailants said to
be Bee and Ab Sullivan.
    When Victor Sullivan was killed in September following, there were
those who connected the killings; which, in the light of time, seem to
have been for entirely different reasons.  It may be that those who
killed Victor, for whatever reasons, considered the Mill Pond killing as
an example of how to get away with murder.  They followed the same
obfuscating procedure, and though Abb and Bee Sullivan were brought to
trial, they were able to get an acquittal.  (At the trial, Abb Sullivan
wore a watch fob taken from the dying body of Victor Sullivan, according
to Victor's sister.)
    There was finally a trial in March, 1903, on the George Sullivan
killing, with Bee Sullivan as a prosecution witness.  Apparently there
was no conviction.  The Howells said Sam Sullivan did the deed.  I doubt
it was old Sam, but it could have been Chester.  Both Bee and Abb were
killed later, with no regrets in the community.
    It is likely that widow Maggie (Burkhalter) Sullivan was able to
marry again and leave the area.  John Burkhalter may have been with the
family in 1900 as brother-in-law to protect it.  The children are later
found as adults in Laurel, but Maggie has not been identified after
1900.  If she married again, she and her children may have been under
another name.

    GWH: in the Spring of 2007, I was contacted by a young Sullivan
living in Los Angeles County, CA, a few miles from me.  He was a
grandchild or great grand child of Meddie Sullivan, son of the victim,
George.  Based on his conversation, I assume there were some Sullivans
this branch of the family can not abide to this day.  He apparently had
been well-schooled in this tragedy in his family..