[Granville-Hough] 19 Sep 2009 - Chufas

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Sep 19 05:58:08 PDT 2017

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:05:21 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Chufas - 19 Sep 2009

Chufas.  The Tommy Sullivan kids grew up in the Saratoga and Merry Hell
area, and I wonder if they grew chufas, an Indian/Spanish word for a
kind of swamp grass which grew nuts among its roots.  The chufas plant
was propagated by these nuts, which were completely edible.  They tasted
something beween a pine nut and a chinquapin.  They were very hard to
get completely free of the grit among the roots of the parent plant, so
that you would frequently crunch on some grit as you chewed the nut.  We
got some chufas and continued to see them come up, year after year.  Our
hogs soon learned to smell and hunt them.  Hooray for chufas! Long may
they survive!!!!
    P. S.  According to Google, the chufa is probably an Egyptian plant
brought by the Moors to Spain.  It is still quite popular in Valencia,
where it is made into a drink called tiger-nut chufa horchata.  It is
really nutritious and well-known in the Valencia province.  Mexico also
has a version which may include other ingredients.

    How Diesel Fuel Disappears.  A great deal of fuss has recently been
made over the bombing of two fuel trucks filled with diesel fuel which
the Taliban had hijacked and taken to a place where they could quickly
sell the fuel.  The big fuss was over the killing of the Afghan
customers for the fuel, lined up, I suppose with containers to fill, or
with trucks to load.
    This reminds me of a similar situation in South Korea in 1947.  One
did not have to be long in Seoul to realize that our diesel fuel came by
tanker truck from Inchon, the harbor some 25 miles away.  And we who had
been exposed to pipelines asked the question: "Why not build an
underground pipeline down to Inchon and save all those trucks and men
driving them?  Well, in fact, this had already been done before we got
there.  The pipeline had been built and the daily usage for Seoul had
been pumped in at Inchon.  But no diesel fuel arrived in Seoul.  This
continued for several days until a search team had been sent out to find
the leaks in the line.   It was surprisingly easy to find those leaks.
At every ditch or other crossing where the pipe was exposed, a South
Korean entrepreneur had tapped a hole, "his hole,"  where he could
collect the fuel and sell it to other South Koreans eager or desperate
to get  it.
     Let's suppose we bombed one of these tap-holes. We would probably
have killed one South Korean entrepreneur controlling the tap-hole and
40 Korean men, women, and children standing in line to buy the fuel.
    What is the solution?  Don't start a war on the other side of the
world where you can't even define your strategic goal!  If some
irresponsible warhawks got us involved involuntarily, cut our losses and
get out.  The consequencies be damned.  We should have handled Osama bin
Laden as a criminal case, and not idolized him as a leader of the Muslim
World.  As for the current problem, we could resettle all the Afghans
who want to leave that country into Alaska to support Sarah Palin
cheaper than what it will cost to continue this war.  Grampa.