[Granville-Hough] 8 Sep 2009 - Jack Inseminators

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun Sep 10 20:46:27 PDT 2017

Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:20:17 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: JackInseminators - 8 Sep 2009

Uncle Sid and Jack, the Artificial Inseminators: Uncle Sid Richardson
sired a large family and had to work hard to support them well. He had
first learned to be a singing school teacher, then he taught public
school for some years, then settled into farming among the Gentrys in
what may have been called Gentrytown at one time. His home was almost on
the Covington County line, and Uncle Sid eventually built a new home
down the road a bit in Covington County and became the Justice of the
Peace for his later years in that part of Covington County. However, he
became best known for his work with a breeding jack (for siring mules
with mare horses). We simply referred to this animal as ôJack.ö Jack
soon learned to ride in the back of a pickup truck to the local towns
where mares in heat would be assembled. As soon as he came to the city
limits, Jack would start braying, letting all mares for miles around
know that help was on the way. Uncle Sid soon learned he could extend
JackÆs power with artificial insemination. So Jack got to the first mare
wearing a giant condom. Uncle Sid on the spot took the semen and put it
into a number of capsules; then manually inserted one of these capsules
into the uterus of each mare in heat. He guaranteed a colt every time,
or your money back, or Jack got a second try without the condom on the
next trip.
Uncle Sid was the first one to use artificial insemination in Southern
Mississippi that I know about but there may have been others. However,
WW II began and mule farming began to phase out. That is when Uncle Sid
got into the Justice of the Peace work. My brother Donald and I visited
him after his children had all left home, and I asked him how he knew
what to do in the varied Justice of the Peace cases he handled. He
explained he had a Manual for Justices which covered just about
everything he ever encountered.
The next time I saw Uncle Sid, he was in a nursing home in Magee. He
seemed sound of mind, but he could not take care of himself any longer.