[Granville-Hough] 7 Oct 2009 - Dispersion of Sullivan Hollow Dogwoods

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun Oct 8 06:32:39 PDT 2017

Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:01:49 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Dogwoods - 7 Oct 2009

Dispersion of Sullivan Hollow Dogwoods.

There is an untold story about the beautiful flowering dogwoods of
SullivanÆs Hollow and how they now may be found all over the South. It
happened about 1939 when my next older brother, Rudolph Hough, had begun
working for T. G. Owen & Son of Columbus, MS, the largest horticultural
nursery in the state at that time. Rudolph handled the orders Mr. Owen
received, and one they could not fill was for flowering dogwood. Rudolph
remembered that we had some beautiful dogwoods on our farm on the edges
of woodsy areas. He remembered that the flowers of spring turned into
little red fruits with seeds in the fall.
Rudolph asked me if I thought I could gather some seed. I was about 16
or 17 years old and my brothers were younger. Rudolph suggested we
gather the seed and ship them from Magee to him at Columbus by Railway
Express. He offered us a good price by the pound. We learned we could
lean a ladder against a tree, then climb the ladder and pick the berries
and put them into a small cotton sack, just like picking cotton. Dogwood
trees are small, so that we were never over six feet off the ground. We
picked 160 pounds of berries and shipped them to Rudolph. At Columbus
they spread and dried the berries, then planted the seeds. They
germinated well and for the next ten years, T. G. Owen & Son shipped
dogwood plants all over the South.
So the next time you see a native flowering dogwood in a yard or park in
some Southern city, just recall that, like most of you, it may have its
ancestry and cousins in SullivanÆs Hollow.

Martha Washington's wisdom: "The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our disposition and not our circumstances." (Some later
legends, I cannot confirm. The quote may have been what made Martha
unhappy with one of her nicest handmaidens who often appeared at public
ceremonies and private parties in fine clothes, and who got to eat the
best food the Washington's could afford. This handmaiden asked for
emancipation and Martha complained to George, who simply said: "We
fought the British to be free. She, too, wants her freedom." So it was
that George then wrote into his will that all or part of his slaves
would be emancipated when both he and Martha died. Later, widow Martha
began to realize that her slaves were just waiting for her death in
order to become free. It is said she became paranoid that she would be
poisoned by one of them.)