[Granville-Hough] 1 Oct 2009 - Pot Likker

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Oct 5 06:25:24 PDT 2017

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:52:38 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: PotLikker 1 Oct 2009

I had an email that Stan Hough died Monday in
England. He was a WW II English veteran who was interested in genealogy,
and he, Max Huff, and I had formed a relationship of Hough researchers,
not knowing or expecting that we were at all related. When yDNA testing
became available, we discovered we had the same Viking yDNA and had to
be related fairly recently, within ten generations, more or less. May
God bless his family.

Sullivan Hollow Likker or Liquor.

Mark A. ôMackö Sullivan, a Sullivan
grandson, loved a good joke or play on words as much as anyone. He was
once called before a Grand Jury in Raleigh to testify about making
liquor in SullivanÆs Hollow. ôOh yes, everyone makes it, some with
turnip greens, some with peas, some with collards, whatever is in
season; and it is indeed delicious. We always add a piece of salt pork
to the pot to give flavor. We eat it with corn bread. We actually call
it pot likker.ö
To which the Grand Jury pointed out that the liquor they were interested
in was distilled liquor. And of course Mark could say: ôWell, you asked
me what I knew, and I told you about the pot likker we make in my house.
If you want to know about some other kind of liquor, you will have to
talk to someone who knows about it.ö
MarkÆs story got around. After that, the Smith County Grand Jury could
find no Sullivan or witness from SullivanÆs Hollow who knew anything
about any kind of liquor except pot likker. All were eager to describe
how they made it at their houses.
Those following these stories can refer back to Jan 4 and the story of
the Sullivan descendant, Bud Aaron, who carried the custom of pot likker
served with cornbread into Shreveport, Louisiana. I can testify from
frequent experience that pot likker and corn bread is one of the most
satisfying suppers you can have after a day of hard work.

A Sample prayer for Juli and any other worried mother.
Good Morning God! I want to be known as a woman who builds her home on a
foundation of love and kindness. I am grateful, Lord, that You have
given me the opportunity to be a wife and a mother. May I honor You by
being the woman You would have me be. May I honor my husband as well by
letting him know how much I appreciate all he does for our family.
Please guide us as we try to help our children become adults. Thank You,
Lord. Amen. (adapted from Carol DeMars Collins).