[Granville-Hough] 6 Nov 2009 - Dorsey confusion

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Nov 6 05:06:25 PST 2017

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 12:10:43 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Rev. Thomas A Dorsey, the gospel musucian vs Tommy Dorsey, the band
 leader and popular music writer.

    As a setback to my scholarship, I find I looked up google.com and
read all about Rev. Thomas A Dorsey, the black gospel music writer who
wrote such tunes as "Peace in the Valley," and thought I was reading
about Tommy Dorsey the white band leader and writer of popular tunes
such as "Girl Crazy."  Well, well, it took Harold Hopkins to set us
straight on that.  Thank you, Harold.
    Also, thank you Harold, for sending me the obit of Lavelle Meadows.
He was a good friend of mine in grade school, but I cannot remember
whether he was  in my class or the next one.  I do recall wondering at
the time how he could have been such a nice fellow but still related to
Mr. Jim Meadows, our sour neighbor   Granville.