[Granville-Hough] 28 May 2009 - Coffin Maker

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun May 28 08:48:00 PDT 2017

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:24:52 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: CoffinMaker - 28 May 2009

JOHN BEN SULLIVAN, THE COFFIN MAKER.

John Ben Sullivan was a carpenter of SullivanÆs Hollow who became
acquainted with every family in the region. He was the coffin maker
before the times of railroads, undertakers and orchestrated funerals. He
made coffins on order for any family who wanted one for a terminally ill
family member or who just wanted one as standby. If you thought you were
going to need a coffin, you went into the woods and cut the longleaf
pine trees and hauled them to one of the water-powered sawmills where
they were slowly cut into boards. Then you took the boards to John Ben
Sullivan who hand-planed them so they would look nice for the funeral.
He built the coffin to carry the heaviest body. Burying relatives with
dignity and respect was very important to all Sullivans, and a coffin
maker was highly regarded. When his cousin, Victor Sullivan, was killed
in Sep, 1899, the father, Josey Sullivan, had to use a coffin built for
someone else. He cut the trees on his own land, get the trees sawed into
boards (probably by his brothers Orlando Jack and Jeff); then took them
to John Ben, who made the replacement coffin.
(GWH: I have wondered what the pioneers did in lieu of coffins before
there were any sawmills. If I ever ran across descriptions of pioneer
coffins in my genealogical studies, I do not recall them. Perhaps my
friend, Harold Hopkins, can shed some light on that subject.)
Like all the neighbors and relatives, John Ben Sullivan was much hurt by
the killing of his cousin, Victor in 1899. His next son was born a month
later, and he named that son Victor Sullivan so there would be someone
to carry on that name. (In year 2005, a descendant of John Ben named
Victor Sullivan called Maxine (Richardson) Watts to ask about the origin
of the name, which had been continued through the generations. She was
glad to explain the story of her uncle Victor.)
The story of John Ben Sullivan, the Coffin Maker, illustrates the simple
fact that primitive communities would develop skills for survival.
Someone would take on the most dreaded tasks for the benefit of the
community. There is no work which is beneath the dignity of those who
respect and love their people. What has to be done will be done.
(GWH: Those of you who are following these stories may refer back to 2
Jan to the words spoken at the funeral of Reverend James Lenox Sullivan,
a Baptist pastor who endeavored to bring the Southern Baptist Convention
into modern times. Reverend James Lenox Sullivan was grandson of
Coffin-maker John Ben Sullivan.)