[Granville-Hough] 19 May 2009 - Ninevah

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon May 22 05:24:03 PDT 2017

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:15:04 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Ninevah (19 May 2005) - 19 May 2009

Bible study went fairly well, May 2005.  One lady corrected my
pronunciation of Nineveh, which reminded me of something Carol did from
time to time.
She could no longer dress herself or go to the bathroom, but some parts
of her mind were very clear.  If I too loosely credited something to,
say Caesar's wife, she would say something like: " I think you will find
that was Ophelia in Hamlet."  So this lady who probably cannot get to
the bathroom on her own knows very clearly the historic sites of the
Bible which I never bothered to learn to pronounce.
    One sharp old lady named Margaret, who refers to me as "the
preacher," had her 100th birthday just before I arrived.  She still came
to Bible Study.  I have met one or two of her family, probably her
younger grandchildren.
	I probably told one of my favorite Bible stories about how Jonah
swallowed the whale.  Here was the reluctant Jonah, to whom the Lord
gave the task
of converting Nineveh.  Jonah was upset and objected: "Lord, that's a
whale of a task which I can't swallow (or do). Besides, I'm going the
other way."  This went back and forth until Jonah had many adventures
which directed him back to the task in Nineveh.  Then, the ending is
interesting when Jonah sat outside the eastern gate under his morning
glory (or was it kudzu?), and
the Lord's rationale for not destroying the city just to satisfy Jonah's
prediction.  It's one of the episodes of the Bible where we gain an
appreciation for God's love for all his animals and natural creatures,
not just his humans.
	I hope you all got the news tonight about cloning human cells and what
that may eventually mean for Alzheimer's patients.
    Love to all, Grampa.