[Granville-Hough] 4 May 2009 - Tobacco

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu May 4 06:07:48 PDT 2017

Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:26:49 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>

Good Morning, God, and thank you for April and the great days of Easter.
May you give us guidance through this new month of May!

Tobacco

Smoking Joe Sullivan was addicted to tobacco and kept a pipe in his
mouth at all times. The only time I recall him visiting the Elisha Hough
farm, he walked through the barnyard gate with a smoking pipe. Elisha
Hough, a non-smoker, proceeded to push him back through the gate and
give him the scolding of his life. Smoking Joe was much embarrassed and
apologized in every way he could. (Everyone knew a barn full of new hay
was a fuze just waiting to explode into flames. Sometimes we had to turn
the hay to cool it down. Even so, barns caught fire from spontaneous
combustion. I describe one such tragedy, the McAlpin barn, elsewhere.)
Neither my mother nor father used tobacco in any form, but we knew
plenty of women who used snuff and a few who smoked pipes. As for snuff,
which was tobacco ground into a powder form, you could either sniff it
or dip it. I cannot remember anyone sniffing snuff, but it must have
been done. People would say: ôI need a dip of snuff.ö Dipping it meant
placing it in the lower lip, where it could create a messy sight. Among
men, few used snuff, but many chewed tobacco or smoked. We grew tobacco
for our uncle Elijah and our brother Dueward who had become addicted. I
also saw people use snuff for an aching tooth; and I suppose it did make
the pain more bearable. Among those who used snuff or chewing tobacco
out of sight of children or visitors were Grandpa and Grandma
Richardson, and Aunt Joan (Sullivan) Richardson.
The tobacco plant required constant care, and we had to remove the
tobacco worms by hand. They were a large catepillar û the larvae of a
native moth û which got about two inches long, were a garish green and
yellow, and had a big horn on their heads. Birds did not bother them.
They must have tasted terrible. We learned they were harmless, and that
we could pick them off the tobacco and put them into a bucket for later
destruction. It took a lot of nerve, but we all became accomplished worm
pickers. The moth normally laid its eggs on wild plants, probably
milkweed, and we would see the larvae on these plants in the woods.
When the tobacco plants were grown we cut them and stored them in a
cotton house until the leaves were wilted and almost dry. Then we could
take a big leaf, or two small leaves, and make a twist. Then we would
let the twist get dry and it was in a form for carrying in your shirt
pocket. These twists were also known as ôcrosslegsö to distinguish them
from ôboughtenö chewing tobacco which came in flat ôplugsö which would
fit into your pocket. When you wanted a chew, you cut off as much as you
wanted with a sharp pocketknife, got it into a wadded ball in the side
of your mouth and let saliva do its work, spitting out the excess.
Enough worked its way down your throat to give the nicotine effect you
sought. You could also cut it up finely and smoke it in a pipe, which
was Uncle Sid RichardsonÆs approach. That was not so messy. But it was
all mean, nasty stuff. There were fanciful names for both plug tobacco
and dipping snuff such as Red Bull, Schnapps, Brown Mule, Winesap, etc,
but we had little contact with them as we grew our own. Grampa Hough.