[Granville-Hough] 18 Mar 2009 - Uncle Thomas F. Richardson

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Mar 18 05:32:00 PDT 2017

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:08:15 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Uncle Thomas F. Richardson - 18 Mar 2009

    Good Morning, God.  Thank you for all the things that did not happen
while we slept and rested: no earthquakes, no floods, no tsunamis, no
volcanic eruptions, and no new wars.  Please guide us so we do not cause
any man-made disasters.  Please help us learn how to use the assets you
have given us in our wind, sunshine, tides, and rainfall so we can
survive and carry out your will.  Amen.

Letter to Uncle Thomas F. Richardson, dated 16 August 1961.

Dear Uncle Tom,

    We, your Hough nephews, held a reunion with our mother (Lizzie/Mama
(Richardson) Hough) on 2 July (1961) and found her in good spirits.  We
had a fine time and we hope she will remember tho occasion with
pleasure.  This was the first time all seven of us had consciously
gotten together since our father's death in 1936, just over twenty-five
years ago.
    As part of the occasion, we decided to record the things that have
been most important to Mama and to us.  Your example, material help, and
timely advice have inspired us all  our lives. We can say unqualifiedly
that you have contributed more to our family development  than anyone else.
     We recall our correspondence with you when we were children, and
for the older ones of us, this goes back nearly forty years.  These were
the first letters we ever wrote.  They helped us realize that thoughts
could be shared and views exchanged regardless of distance and
separation.  In those days Smith County seemed a very long way from New
Haven, Connecticut.
    We understand your efforts to maintain close family ties through
family reunions, Christmas parties, and constant correspondence.  In
times of stress, depressions, wars, etc, these family ties have been
sources of strength for us, and we feel sure, for our cousins as well.
We think your efforts to keep strong the family ties will be more and
more appreciated as we all get older.
    We are pleased that Mama is able to help you publish your work on
the larger family history.  This is the best historical work ever
developed on Smith County and its people, and we believe it will be so
recognized.  In addition, we expect it to be a source of inspiration to
future generations of our own families.
    In the difficult years following our father's death, we recall that
your were most helpful and sympathetic.  The combining of our family
with Grandpa (Richardson's) family was fraught with human problems;
however, we always recognized the benefits both to Mama and to Grandpa.
Your efforts to bring about an amicable settling of the legal problems
was the best example we had for using patience and tolerance in settling
the personal problems inherent in that move.
    In more recent years you advice to Mama on legal and business
matters has been of great help to her.  She places great store on your
advice and guidance.  She believes that you understand her outlook on
life and her problems better than we who are of another generation.  We
Appreciate that you have given time to her problems and worries and have
helped her when you could.
    We, the seven sons, recall the countless times you have talked and
visited with us and the many opportunities you gave us to visit you.
These time are highlights in our memories.  We want Aunt Pearl and your
children to know also that we recall those visits with great fondness.
    We each sign this letter and hope you will keep it as a memorial of
our appreciation to you.
    Your Nephews, (signed by Harold, Dueward, Rudolph, Granville,
Clifford, Donald, and Roland Hough).