[Granville-Hough] 14 Jun 2009 - My Mother's Letter of 14 June 1965

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Jun 14 05:37:04 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:19:00 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: My Mother's Letter of 14 June 1965 - 14 June 2009

    My mother, Lizzie (Richardson) Hough could write very informative
letters when she had time from her work to do so.  Here is an example
from 44 years ago, when she was 77 years old.. Though we never made
anything of it, my mother was one of the few women who had seven sons to
serve in WW II and its aftermath.  It just happened we were born in the
right years for service.

    Dear Granville and family,
       I am getting along fair.  Some days my legs hurt so bad I can't
get around very well, but I try to keep going.  If I give away to my
pain, I may get to where I cannot move around (at all).  We had several
showers of rain last week.  We had our last (good) rain the 29th of
March, and our first shower since then came last Saturday week
    Clifford's family all are well and busy all the time.  The school
closed last week - no, two weeks ago.  Sherry can ride her bike now and
watch Cliff.  He was one year old the 21st of Feb and can't talk yet.
Guess when he learns to talk, he will take over.
    I saw Dueward yesterday.  He and Deloris Ann came over here a while
yesterday afternoon.  Her little boy is a cute child and Dueward in
crazy about him.  Dueward doesn't look well but he is doing his work.
He has (a) complexion like your father (Elisha Hough) had after he got
sick - kind of blue sallow complexion.
    Roland, Bobbie, and R. H. spent week before last with us and the
Barretts.  They seemed to be very happy and I enjoyed seeing them.  R.
H. is growing fast and my! how busy he is all the time.
    Donald called me last week and said they were well except (for) his
back trouble.  He said they had five weeks of drought during April and
part of May.
    I saw Harold and his family at Tom's (Richardson) house on May 30.
We had our get together at Tom's house.  They had a memorial service for
Jack (Richardson) (killed in WW II), at the Poplarville Cemetery.  Bland
and John and all their families were there.
    Thank you so much for the pretty scarf.  It's so beautiful I should
have written you sooner, but I was thinking every day I would write you.
    (To my question about Clayton Sullivan.)  Yes, Clayton is Clay's
boy.  He is the only child they have.  He is Pastor of the Baptist
Church at Tylertown.  He finished at Seminary, Louisville, KY.  They say
he is a bright boy.
Thank you again for the gift.
    Lots of love, your mother.