[Granville-Hough] 6 Jun 2009 - Almost Persuaded

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Jun 6 05:45:31 PDT 2017

Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:05:45 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Almost Persuaded - 6 June 2009

Let us remember and pray for those who fought and who fell on D-Day
sixty five years ago.

Almost Persuaded.

The Bible contains 5,566,480 letters, 733,746 words,
51163 verses, 1189 chapters and 66 books. The longest chapter is the
119th Psalm; shortest, the middle chapter, the 117th Psalm. The middle
verse is the 8th of the 118th Psalm. The longest is in the 8th chapter
of Isaiah. The word ôandö occurs 46,227 times; the word Jehovah 6,855
times. The thirty-seventh chapter of Isaiah and the 19th chapter of the
2nd book of Kings are alike. The longest verse is the 9th of the 8th
chapter of Esther; the shortest verse is the 35th of the 11th chapter of
John. In the 21st verse of the 7th chapter of Ezra is the alphabet. The
finest piece of reading is the 26th chapter of Acts. The name of God is
not mentioned in the book of Esther. The bible contains two testaments.
The Old is Law, the New is Love. The old is the Bud, the New is the
Bloom. In the Old, man is reaching up for God, In the New, God is
reaching down for man. In the Old, man is in the valley but can see the
sun shining on the mountain tops. In the New he is on the mountain top
basking in the sunlight of GodÆs infinite love.
We can say that some of these Bible facts are trivia. We can also say
that some of the thoughts are so profound that we cannot improve on them.
I especially like the statement about the fine reading of the 26th
chapter of Acts. PaulÆs statement is so direct, simple, and elegant that
King Agrippi is ôAlmost Persuaded,ö (King James version) and that phrase
is recognizable to anyone who ever attended a SullivanÆs Hollow Church
Protracted Meeting. It was the name of a song generally used in the last
two evenings of church services. It was a prayer and a supplication, and
it is in the memory bank of many of us who accepted Jesus Christ and
turned our sins over to him.