[Granville-Hough] 3 Jun 2009 - Good Riddance Dec 1778

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jun 3 06:52:23 PDT 2017

Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:21:33 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Good Riddance Dec 1778 - 3 June 2009

Good Riddance!

In searching for ships and sailors for the American Revolution, I came
across an interesting gem in the British ôAnnual Register,ö Vol. 21, Dec
1778, page 207, which reports the following event for 29 Dec 1778:

The Jew Priest of the Hamburgh Synagogue, in Fenchurch Street, was
divorced from his priestess. The ceremony observed on this occasion was
very solemn; there were four Jew Rabbins; two attended each party. After
the parties had stated their complaints and objections to each other,
they asked the priestess if she was willing to part with her husband;
she replied, ôYes,ö the priest then spit in her face to show his
contempt for her; she in return did the same; the priest threw the bill
of divorcement at the priestess; she with open arms, and hands expanded,
received it with such avidity as convinced the whole assembly with what
satisfaction she was willing to separate from her husband. That done
they again spit in each otherÆs face, and exclaimed, ôCursed be they who
ever wish to bring us two together again.ö

Well, well, what do we learn from this? Perhaps if you ever need to talk
about two or more rabbis, we can lump them together as an entourage of
rabbins, as in a mob of crows or a gaggle of geese. The other lesson is
that divorce can get nasty and vicious, best avoided by cautious
marriage and careful and fair-minded attendance to the spouseÆs needs
and preferences. Grampa.