[Granville-Hough] 26 Jul 2009 - Casting Pearls

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Jul 21 04:53:48 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:51:13 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: CastingPearls -  26 July 2009

The Missionary Baptist Boundary Line.

Mathew 7:6 ôGive not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye
your pearls before swine, lest they trample you under their feet, and
turn again and rend you.ö

I am not sure I fully understand what this means, but it always seemed
to say that there is a limit to what you can do in missionary zeal, or
in personal witnessing, or in exhortation to others. One must note that
it follows considerable discussion about the mote in the brotherÆs eye
and the beam in your own. I found I was not cut out for missionary work
when a distant cousin, John Carter, and I set about establishing a
Baptist Church in 1942 in the mill-town section of Starkville, MS. Many
of the mill workers were proud but illiterate people from the Tennessee
foothills. They seemed to be the only people desperate enough to work in
non-union, subsistence pay of the North Mississippi cotton mills.
I drew up the founding statement and creed, and I could keep the
minutes, but I failed at singing, exhorting, or in even answering
questions. Consider the question: ôAre you æFree Will Baptists?Æö Later,
I learned the proper answer was that there were Free Will Methodists,
but no such identifiable Baptist group. Or the question: ôAre you
Cumberland Baptists?ö The answer to that was that there were Cumberland
River Presbyterians, but no Cumberland Baptists by that name. In
retrospect, there had been a bitter cotton Mill strike in the nearby
town of Tupelo; and I think some people suspected us of being union
organizers in disguise. To many illiterate people of Confederate
heritage, union and Union were all one and the same.
World War II cut short our efforts, as John and I were soon inducted
into the Army. The cotton mill closed down and the workers moved away.
The land was rezoned and a new sub-division was built there. I can only
trust that God had other plans for his mill town workers.
For some reason this discussion reminds me of a famous quote from
Preacher Manuel Grayson of the Saratoga Baptist Church who finally put
it to the Merry Hell and Togey Sullivans in his exhortation:: ôDonÆt do
like I do, Do like I Say Do.ö I believe I knew two of Preacher Grayson's
grandchildren as high school schoolmates, very fine people.