[Granville-Hough] 20 Jul 2009 - Older Farms

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Jul 18 06:01:58 PDT 2017

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 06:48:06 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: OlderFarms - 20 Jul 2009

The Older Farms.

I was born and lived during my most formative years in the southern
quarter of section 5, Township 10N, Range 16W of Smith County, MS. We
owned the quarter section, less two acres in the Northwest corner, which
was the homesite for Drummond McAlpin. I know that corner of our
property better than any other as I climbed the fence every day when I
went to high school in Magee in the 9th grade. It was exactly one mile
West to the Simpson county line, and exactly ¾ mile North to the Choctaw
Base Line. It was exactly five and ­ miles to the Covington County line.
I met my Sharon District bus just inside the Simpson County line at Carl
YelvertonÆs home.
The Choctaw Base Line had been surveyed after the last Choctaw Cession
in order to place the white manÆs grid of imaginary lines on a land of
ups, downs, streams, draws, and pine barrens. The land was then divided
into townships and ranges. Township 10 would have 36 sections, each a
mile square, and it would be 16 ranges of 6 miles each west of a
North-South meridian in Alabama and 60 miles north of a known latitude.
The Choctaws saw land as streams, valleys, stream junctions, permanent
springs, lakes, high land forms, and described it accordingly, just as
they saw it and used it. With the white manÆs imaginary grid, the land
was divided arbitrarily, with somewhat disastrous results in the long
run. It probably prevented some mayhem in the beginning.
When white men first settled the Indian lands, they followed the Choctaw
trails along the streams or over the higher land forms for short cuts
and staked out their claims where they found overflow areas for streams
and valleys of hardwood. The land here would grow crops if it could be
cleared, and water was available in the springs along the creeks. So
this is what they set about doing, clearing the valleys, hollows, or
draws, placing ditches around them for diverting water from the hills.
They fenced their fields with longleaf pine rail fences, as the woods
were all open range for deer, cattle, sheep, goats, and other livestock.
Everyone had their own ear marks or brands, and there were always those
who were not above rustling an unfamiliar mark. Not your neighborÆs, of
course. So the life in early Smith County was that of a farmer-rancher.
Commercial fertilizer was not used and had not been developed. No one
knew about it until after 1900. No one knew how to drill wells to the
deep underground aquifers, though open wells ten feet down or so could
be developed next to running streams.
The quarter section which was our farm was downhill from higher land,
and that eventually gave us severe soil erosion problems. The hollows
which passed through our land drained headwaters for two minor streams
of Clear Creek (Oka Bogue). These hollows were cleared some time before
the Civil War, and it is said, partly with slave labor, Wares on the
west and Allens on the east. So we had some land which had been
cultivated 70 years, some which had once been cultivated and was in
second-growth timber, and some which was cut-over land which my father
was able to terrace and develop. It was a mixed lot. Then, gradually the
cut-over land to our north was developed for row-cropping, with all the
excess water flowing downhill onto our land. Two roads also passed north
and south through our property, and there had once been an east-west
road between these two which could be followed. I did indeed follow this
old east-west road during my second year of high school at Magee when I
had to switch to another busing district in Simpson County. That year I
met the bus near the railroad Ware Cut.
I do not know from whom my parents purchased the first eastern half of
the quarter section. It may have been Mrs. Seeba (Ware) Yelverton,
daughter of Newton Jasper and Louisa Ann (Sullivan) Ware, and
granddaughter of Frederick Sullivan. It contained the old Allen
developments. The ôHollowö had a permanent spring which we called the
ôHole of Water,ö as it just stayed at a permanent level. Near it was an
old well the Allens had used as a convenience. I never identified any
dwelling site, but there could have been one. The Allen residence was
about ¾ mile away and we never associated with them as they were in the
Calvary Presbyterian Community on another road. We were the last
residence in the Concord Baptist Community. The Hollow was where we grew
sugar cane. It had tall second-growth pines on the hills adjacent which
had once been cultivated. The old rows could still be seen. It was in
the briar patches in these overgrown old fields where we encountered
copperheads and pygmy rattlesnakes. The Allens had also cleared a swath
of land up to the north-south road where our residence was built. This
land had been quite eroded, but it became our fruit orchard. When my
parents purchased this 80 acres in 1914, it had two dwellings, one which
they occupied, and the other, the old Batt family home, which they
eventually moved to become a storehouse at our new house.
The land had not been surveyed so that our parents were not sure where
the section lines came. The most critical was the line just south of the
dwelling house where they lived. The neighbor to the south, a very
aggressive accumulator of land, Mr. Jim Meadows, was sure the dwelling
house would be on his side of the line. As the surveyors came through,
they passed 20 feet south of the house, and cut the garden in half. Mr.
Meadows had to be content with that, plus part of the field that my
father had been using. Eventually he did get part of the land north of
us, which my parents wanted but had no money to pay for it.
When my parents got ready to build their new house, the road had been
moved east so that the new house and barn were built right over the old
road, which had gone up the ridge to what is now Highway 28. Just west
of our south chicken house, we could see the sides of the old road. This
old road had been the way to Low, the railroad town where Jasper Ware,
Tommy Amason, and others had been postmasters in the 1900 era.
Just before I can remember, we purchased the western half of the quarter
section from the McAlpin family, who had inherited or purchased it from
the Frank Ware and Jasper Ware estates. Frank Ware had homesteaded the
land and had built his home there. One of his daughters, Keturah Ware,
married Lawrence McAlpin and had settled up the road in the next
section. Newton Jasper Ware md Louisa Jane Sullivan, daughter of
Frederick Sullivan, inherited the home place and lived there all his
life. The Ware property on the stream ôthe meadowö became a small center
of community life. The Batt family was on the cross road, and the old
site can probably still be identified. A well had been drilled there at
some point to avoid the long trek to the sunken barrel in the reed brake
next to the meadow stream where there was a ready source of water. In
the field just west of the meadow, we sometimes came across red clay
where we would not otherwise see it. Mrs. Keturah McAlpin explained that
was the site of the schoolhouse where she went to school as a child. The
red clay bits were remnants of the old chimney. At the upper end of the
meadow was a cotton house which had once been used, but it looked more
like a primitive dwelling house. It could have been slave quarters. The
hills had once been cultivated, but were covered in second-growth timber
about 40 years old. There were old gullies grown over. On the side of
the main hill between the Jasper Ware home and the meadow water barrel
was the site of an old cotton gin. It was mule-powered and on the side
of the hill so gravity could be used in the flow through the ginning
mechanism. I never saw one, nor did I ever hear an explanation of how
they worked. . The tracks for the mule, going round and round, were in
the side of the hill and are probably there today. I do recall ôOld Man
Joe Robertsö explaining that he saw someone pick up a bale of cotton at
the Jasper Ware farm when he was a small boy, about 1885. A bale of
cotton weighs 500 pounds.
When we acquired the old Frank Ware home, or the Jasper Ware home as we
called it, it was made of longleaf pine logs which had been squared by
hand. It had longleaf pine shingles. The longleaf pine logs still exist
in my brother Clifford HoughÆs basement as the house support.
When Frank Ware built the home, he put it on high ground on the road.
That got away from the mosquitoes and other insects which lived along
the stream. There was a reed brake (an outgrowth of reeds) which circled
a natural spring, in the meadow, so he sunk a barrel into the spring,
and had a source of water which had to be transported to the house, up
the hill about 400 yards. The barrel was still there, and I would get a
drink from it when working in the meadow. When we got the property, a
regular deep well had been drilled at the house.
On the far edge of the property, Frank Ware established the Ware
Cemetery, which is maintained today, though it has had no burials for
the last 60 years. Our Hough sister, born in 1914, and Uncle Ligie Hough
are buried there. Uncle Luke RichardsonÆs first wife, Aunt Maggie (Ware)
Richardson, is also buried there. Except for the two Hough graves, all
the others are Ware relatives. On the back row are 17 unmarked graves,
all victims of the 1918 flu epidemic. Drummond McAlpin recalled how he
as a small boy attended one of the funerals. Those moving the home-made
coffin with plow ropes were so sick and weak that the coffin slipped and
fell into the grave sideways. They could not right it and it began to
rain. They just filled the grave and went home to bed where most of them
were themselves dead in less than a week and buried alongside. The
graves were left unmarked as there were no family members left to mark them.
I did not intend to end on a sad note, but as one goes across the
quarter section from east to west, you end at the cemetery. So it is in
life. The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of
the Lord. Blessed am I that I have these memories to share. I do not
know what they mean to someone who has not lived on that land, but I put
them down in memory of those who worked so hard there.